Sunday, September 04, 2005

Gas Prices

I was at a meeting on Thursday evening when somebody mentioned the price of gas going up again. It usually goes up a couple of cents a litre at a time. I made a mental note to get gas on the way home. As it turned out, I brought somebody else home so I didn't think of it. After I came home and got ready for bed, I decided to check my email to unwind after a busy day. There was an email from a friend reminding me of the gas price jump. I jumped in my car, pj's and all, and went to fill it up. There were four line-ups at the pumps and people were filling up gas cans in the pans of their pickups. Wow! I got inspired so I went home and got my husband's pickup truck and went and filled that up as well. He was pleasantly surprised when I told him the next morning (brownie points!!). The gas went up 19 cents a litre the first night - then low and behold it went up another 13 cents the very next day!! The reason: there's a gas shortage on the Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland! Go figure! Why make the people in Labrador pay for that? We pay the highest prices in all of Canada as it is!! I heard somebody say the other day the government should be called the Government of St. John's instead of the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. Maybe they have a point. Separation sounds better all the time. The good news is the gas price may go down 12 cents a litre...and we're supposed to be happy with that?...up .32 and down .12? And oh yes...the price of groceries and utilities, etc. will be going up as well. What does the bible say about a loaf of bread for a days wages in the last days?
Amazing!

No comments: