Tuesday, September 05, 2006

What did you do on the Labour Day Weekend?

The first thing people usually ask when you go back to work after a long weekend is, "So what did you do this weekend?" Usually we give very little detail. "Oh I went to a wedding," or "I went to the cabin." We usually just tell the highlights.

You wanna know what I did this weekend? Now I bet you're curious. You think I did something extra-ordinary, don't you? Actually, I had a very nice weekend, nothing special - just life!

First, my partner and I took a hike through the woods looking for fungus for me to paint. We walked about a half hour into the woods before we found the first one, and in about an hour we had more than 50. By that time we had stirred up enough mosquitoes so we trekked back to the truck with our bags full. Then we ordered pizza for supper. Yum!

Besides cleaning some fungus, during the weekend I also made bread, filled my clotheslines with laundry a few times, tidied and cleaned the house somewhat. I like to keep my abode clean enough to the healthy, but dirty enough to be happy. I attended the funeral of a friend and several church services - one of which was at the Paddon Seniors Home where I stayed and socialized with the residents for a while.

Since we had beautiful weather, bright sunny skies with temperatures reaching 27 degrees Celsius, I did some puttering in my garden, painted a couple of doorsteps and my 'park bench'

where I sometimes sip mugs of tea or chat over the fence with my neighbour, Judy. I also found time to read, check email, play computer games, chat on the phone, play with my cats in the grass and paint a few pictures.



You know what was so special about the weekend for me? I did what I wanted, when I wanted to do it. I didn't have to watch the clock. Just another weekend. Nothing special - just life! So what did you do this weekend?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beverly!!! I love, love, love the pic you painted of the daisy peeking through the fence post. It's beautiful. such a great idea.

Beverly said...

Hi Sonia,
Thanks for your comment. I'm glad someone finally saw it for what it
is. Actually I have to credit Mike Power with the inspiration. He snapped a picture on one of his walks about town and sent it to me. I had a fella come in to appraise some of my work. He thought it was some kind of a mirrored image or reflection because of the smaller daisies in the background and
the shadow. Another girl thought it was growing up through the road
(pavement) and yet another thought it was some kind of a bracelet.
After that I was reluctant to ask anybody else what they saw when they looked at it. I guess that's a commentary on people's taste and
interpretation.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev...
Love the pics of your paintings.
You are getting SOO talented. Put me to shame, you do.

We're settling in here fine, but I miss Labrador - not the lack of shopping mind you - but the people.

Work is going well. Administered my first test today. It went okay. Some didn't do as well as I had hoped, but that's life.

We're visiting a farm this weekend, and doing some yard work. The house is almost completely done the way we want. Stephen is using his time at home to finish numerous projects.

And you know exactly what I'm going to say next:

"I won the lotto when I married that one!"

Miss you bunches,
Love Theresa

Beverly said...

Hi Theresa,
Finally! I've been wondering how you're doing. Glad to hear things are working out. Keep in touch...hugs
Beverly