Monday, April 10, 2006

Talking Sticks & Wildflowers

After a two week hiatus, painting classes resumed tonight. Our art teacher, renown artist Barb Wood, brought in some ‘talking sticks’ that she had painted and some unfinished pieces. Apparently ‘talking sticks’ are legendary among native circles where the speaker held a stick in front of him as he spoke as a sign for everybody to listen. The stick was then passed to the next speaker. These sticks can be cut in the spring of the year when they are easier to peel and can be alders, birch, etc. They need to be seasoned for a while before they can be painted.


Some of the fine detail is amazing!

Even though I was given a stick to paint, my project for tonight was to paint a picture on a 5" x 7" canvas using only the primary colors squeezed from tubes, as opposed to the variety of paints I had been using from small bottles. Here is the result of my efforts. I’m calling it Wildflowers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beverly! what great work! I love your art! The paintings you did are beautiful. You've done quite a few of them. I see you've been very busy. Hope you have a wonderful easter...thank you for the e-card!! keep posting your projects - I love looking at them! Sonia :)